This is the outline of our linear workflow. It works for both Fusion and Nuke.
Setting up our linear workflow is relatively straight forward.
The key points are:-
- Inputs and outputs are 10 bit dpx files.
- the log to linear operation should match the camera profile ( Cineon, s-Log, Arri log c, etc )
- the log to linear operation on the input is inverted for the linear to log operation on the output.
- Composite with a floating point colour depth.
There are two methods for viewing the composite.
- No LUT file. Without a grading LUT the only option is to apply a simple gamma to view the composite.
- LUT files. If a Colourist is involved then the linear image MUST be converted to a log plate before the LUT file is applied.